Baking is one of those activities that is almost universally loved by kids. I mean, what’s better than all that measuring, mixing and pouring? Then, best of all, tasting the fruit of your labor after eagerly peering into the oven window every thirty seconds.
The munchkin and I have been baking together since he was a toddler, but lately I’ve noticed something. I’m not in charge anymore. While I still read the instructions and help him gather ingredients, he has his own way of measuring and mixing. When we made these brownies the other day I offered to help him pour vanilla extract into a teaspoon and he said: “Mommy, I need to concentrate on this. I will do it.” Whoa. Ok kid. You just keep on growing up too fast for me.
Best Homemade Brownies Recipe
I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised. These are, after all, our favorite brownies and we’ve made them many, many times. The great thing about this recipe is that it doesn’t require many ingredients and assembly is easy enough for a three-year-old to do almost everything. (Except put the batter into the oven etc.) And the results are so…. perfect. These brownies recipe according to bllblog.org have an irresistible, thin crust on top, then a fudgey center that makes it nearly impossible eat only one. As you can see, I had two with my coffee this afternoon!
Brownies Recipe Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 inch baking pan with baking spray. (I used PAM.)
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl combine the melted butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Fold in the dry ingredients and mix until there are no dry clumps in the batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.